Aerotech’s ABRS series rotary air-bearing stages provide superior angular positioning, velocity stability, and error motion performance in an exceptionally low-profile package. The ABRS is designed to meet the exacting requirements of wafer inspection, high precision metrology, x-ray diffraction systems, optical inspection and fabrication, and MEMS/nanotechnology device fabrication.
The design of the ABRS series direct-drive rotary stage has been optimized to minimize stage height. The low profile of the stage reduces the effective working height of the system, minimizing “stack-up” related errors. In addition to the low overall height, the ABRS series provides a clear aperture that can be used for product feed-through, laser beam delivery, cable clearance, or application-specific requirements.
Superior Mechanical Design
The ABRS design features large air-bearing surfaces for high stiffness and load capacity, producing not only excellent axial and radial error motions, but outstanding tilt error motion, as well. The resultant face error motion is significantly better than other rotary air-bearing tables and spindles, greatly benefiting applications requiring exceptional planar performance.
To maximize positioning performance, the ABRS series utilizes Aerotech’s S-series slotless, brushless motor. The motor uses an advanced magnetic circuit design to produce high torque output with minimal heat generation. The slotless design is inherently zero-cogging and torque ripple-free. This makes the ABRS stages ideal for applications requiring smooth scan velocities at low or high speeds.
An optical encoder is standard with the ABRS. When coupled with Aerotech’s feedback multipliers and controls, resolutions of <0.03 arc second are achievable.
Custom versions of the ABRS are available for rate table and inertial guidance test-stand applications.
1. Maximum resolution presumes A3200 controller using MXH500 multiplication, and accounts for controller quadrature.
2. Maximum speed based on stage capability. Maximum application velocity may be limited by system data rate and system resolution.
3. Maximum loads are mutually exclusive.
4. All error motion specifications measured at 60 rpm.
5. To protect air bearing against under-pressure, an in-line pressure switch tied to the motion controller is recommended.
6. Air supply must be clean, dry to 0° F dew point, and filtered to 0.25 μm or better. Recommend nitrogen at 99.9% purity.